Monday, December 31, 2012

Family






We just wrapped up our annual family Kris Kringle revelations - a goofy, rambunctious family tradition that we've managed to observe over the years despite the extended family wrangling and the general drifting apart  of once-close relatives.

I don't think of myself as an overly-sentimental man, but maybe because I'm getting on, I suppose I'm beginning to see family in a different light.

It's easy to take them for granted, especially when one is busy chasing one's ambitions.

But at the end of the day, being surrounded by material possessions - the trophies of success - one finds oneself still empty and unsatisfied.

And yet, one funny, laughter-filled day with my parents, brothers, sisters, nephews, nieces, and my favorite dog somehow makes me happier than any flashy sports car or new addition to my various hoards of beautiful things.

I don't spend a whole lot of time with the folks nor my siblings, for various reasons. And I realize my reasons, at the end of the day, have little value.


Work is important. But family even more so.


I think that shall be my first resolution and epiphany for this new year.


I wonder what yours will be.


While you think about it, a good and prosperous 2013 to you and yours.

And may you cherish things of real value.

Like family.


16 comments:

  1. do i hear wedding bells soon?

    lolz

    and may 2013 turn out just fab for everyon! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were a couple of other roads I could have taken to get to that destination, Ternie. But although - or because - I didn't take them, I sometimes wonder where I would've been by now.

      Anyway, good tidings for 2013 to you, and everyone else, too.

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year, Ruddie.

    Like you, I will always choose family (we celebrate Christmas and New Year with the extended brood) over a dozen New Year parties anytime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not as in touch with my family as you are with yours, Joms. But that's something I hope to change this year.

      Happy New Year!

      Delete
  3. For me family will always be number one, even if we don't see each other often and take each other for granted. You didn't choose family, so might as well make peace with them.

    Besides, we make each other laugh so hard. That's enough for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joel!

      It was actually all the laughter yesterday that got me. I was reminded that, despite all the drama and the occasional side comments, family will be family.

      Maybe all that laughter just underscored how miserable I've been, I guess. Or how I can choose to surround myself with people who can make me laugh again, instead of these fuckingsonsofbitches who bring out the worst in me ;-)

      Happy New Year to you and yours!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Hey, hey db!

      You should be happier this year, you.

      So Happy New Year, dear db!

      Delete
  5. Blood is the one thing we can never disavow. It is within as, as it is eternally with us. Happy New Year Rudeboy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "The blood is the life!" Count Dracula once said.

      Mwa-ah-ah-ah!

      Happy New Year to you too, red the mod!

      Delete
    2. aww.. look at you.. the family guy.. hihihi.. happy new year, ruddie!` :)

      Delete
    3. "aww..look at you...the Addams Family guy.."

      There. Fixed that for you, Nate ;)

      And happy happy new year, too.

      Delete
  6. funny, the exchange just above. ahaha.

    i also had the same sentiment. i appreciate my family the most this 2012.

    wow may flashy sports car. rich! hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What can I say, JM? Beautiful cars make me happy - if only while I'm driving them.

      Delete