Friday, September 14, 2012

The World Tree




I was supposed to be on a flight to New York tomorrow - a long-overdue journey that once again has been thwarted because client protested that we had a shitload of stuff to finish this month.

This is twice in a row now that work has prevented me from moping in my second-favorite city in the world.

In the meantime, after living it up in my favorite town in the whole wide world, Diane has abandoned the dog poo-spotted streets of Paris in favor of the French countryside. The lucky girl has been retracing the steps of Monet and Van Gogh in glorious FB updates for almost two months now.

I wonder if she'll ever come home.

On the other hand, Rich has just returned from two weeks on the East Coast, taking in a Broadway play every night and, damn the bitch, also saw Madonna in concert.

Ida, meanwhile, left last Sunday for Paris and Florence, on a two-week business/pleasure trip with her sisters.

Alex may or may not be in Bangkok, or Machu Picchu, or Barbados again; the only time I'm ever sure of his whereabouts is when he checks-in on FB, with some cheeky one-liner or other.

Carlos, to my knowledge, is still somewhere wreaking havoc in the Midwest. I only know this because Ada mentioned him in passing and I wouldn't care because I hate him and hope he meets a serial killer somewhere in Omaha. 

Tonipet is off to Phnom Penh with some friends over the weekend, and next weekend their heat will be on in Saigon.

And of course, D. is off to see (and be hosted by) most of our U.S. based pals on both coasts.

A trip I should've been piggybacking on, but won't be.


And while work went exceedingly well this week and I can't really complain, well...here I still am. Because for some reason client decided to pinch pennies on the last project and scrapped our usual Bangkok sortie.

"Just for this project," they said.

Right.

And I should be in Patpong tonight, idly watching the Soi 11 katoeys do their thing while generally putting my brain on Hibernate.

Instead, I sit here typing out this entry.


Yggdrassil is strong, its branches sturdy, and many, and spread far and wide.

And while these people I know currently swing to and fro on those branches, for now, I stand rooted to this spot.

And here I shall stay, until it's my turn again to grab a vine and swing off myself.

Oh, well.

After all, as Buckaroo Banzai said "No matter where you go, there you are."


-----------------



Oh. And guess who'll be planing in tonight on a four-day layover from Muspellsheim in transit to Jotunheim to witness the family's first twig of a Norwegian branch be baptized into Christianity?

This, at least, ought to be mildly interesting.

4 comments:

  1. Well, it ain't over till the fat lady sings, as they say.

    And I love your final aria while you burn at the end of Götterdämmerung.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the world is just a type away when in blogverse. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ash!

    And you're back from some other corner of the blogverse.

    I dunno, I just feel a little left out while everyone else is going around the world while I'm obliged to be stuck here for now. Which is odd because whenever I'm about to embark for other shores, I get unenthused and just want to stay home.

    Humans.

    ReplyDelete